Saturday, October 6, 2007

Motorcycling

The topic for this post is a comment about one of the news that I read another day. The news was in Portuguese but I’ll translate it to English:

“Ridding motorcycle (in Portugal) is the easiest way to die on the road, while walking is the second dangerous way of motion. 440 motorcyclists out of 100 million die doing a trip of one hour.”

The data was given by a Portuguese Institute related to the roads but I consider that they only tried to give a bad impression of motorcycling. I’ll explain better...

In one of the courses that I attended in Aerospace taught me that there are several ways of measuring the safety of an aircraft, especially when referring to commercial airliners. It can be number of crashes per number of flights, it can be number of passengers injured or killed per total of passengers carried, it can be number of crashes per hour of flight, etc. There are many ways of doing that and whatever the one we choose than the airplane can be the safest mean of transportation or not. The same applies to the news I transcribed.

As anyone can easily see, the motorcycle is a faster mean of transportation than, for example, a car because it can easily reach higher speeds and can pass between the cars when there is a traffic jam. And also everyone knows that for bigger trips the risk of having an accident gets bigger. So, in each hour of trip, in general a bike does a bigger trip than a car and therefore there is a higher risk of having a crash. Also when a motorcyclist has a crash, usually it is severe injury if not death.

In the end, that news was only to scare people about motorcycling but I think they are being non-sense by doing that. I think that, for example, inside the cities a good mean of transportation is the scooter because it is economic, fast, low pollutant and easy to park since it fits in every corner. But if people are scared with bikes, this idea can never be put to practice.

I am not trying to say motorcycles are safer than other transports, but I think they aren’t as dangerous as news like this make believe.

No comments: