Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dutch language

One of these days I was wondering about languages since I am learning some words and expressions in Dutch during my internship and due to the fact that everyone at the company where I’m doing the internship is constantly speaking Dutch and I feel kind of apart because I can’t follow the conversations.

Well, the “challenge” that I want to put in the blog this week is very simple: what do you think about the Dutch language compared with other ones? Is it more difficult or easier to learn? …

The opinions that I’ve heard so far are for all kinds… I’ve heard Dutch people saying that Dutch is more difficult than German, for example, because of the innumerous exceptions of rules, as well people who doesn’t speak Dutch as native language saying that it is a not so difficult language.

I’m learning Dutch and only know a tiny bit of the language but I don’t consider it as strange and hard as I initially thought it was. Until now I’ve learnt the days of the week, the months, the numbering system, the time and some other general expressions as, for example, saying goodbye to someone. The hardest part of the language is the way some letters are said, like the sound of ‘g’ is ‘rrr’ or ‘ch’ is ‘rrxx’…

On the numbers the major difference is that they say one and twenty instead of twenty one. On the days and months there are only small differences, as well on saying the time, although they say half to six instead of half past five, but that is easy to remember.

Now, let’s see if this time my appeal is heard and someone gives his/her opinion…

No comments: