Thursday, March 13, 2008

Women’s Day

Let me try once more to spark a little bit things here in this blog… As you all probably know, almost one week ago there was the International Women’s Day (8 March – I didn’t know but there is also a Wikipedia article on the subject. Check it out…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Women's_Day
Although so many days have passed since then, I think it is a good subject for this blog: women and their role in society. I’ll start with a carton that I found on a Portuguese newspaper that I find very interesting and that will give the mote for today’s post:

I think that still today there are many aspects where society tends to be very “male”, even considering the so called “Developed countries”. Still, I notice that mentalities are changing and more and more the “weaker” gender (:P :P) is ending… despite all the obstacles women had and have to deal.

I believe that both genders should have the same fundamental rights, like for example the right to live (by the way, did you know that until recently for the Portuguese law, a man who found his wife in his bed with another man committing adultery could kill both of them and that would be considered a small crime, since for the law the man was “cleaning” his honor), right to personal integrity, right of freedom, freedom of speech, information and press, etc… in sum, everything that is on the Portuguese Constitution.

However, I disagree when I find that there are laws where is stated which jobs the women CAN’T perform (yeah, that exists… men have to do some heavy jobs that the law prohibits women to do :P). And I also believe that should exist some positive healthy discrimination because women are better at some things while men at others. Well, physiologic the genders are different: men are stronger than women; women are multi tasking… and many more differences could be pointed out. And that should be emphasized and those differences could be used to head towards a fair and equal society, where each gender would do what it is best on…

One last thing… I find very disappointing reading the Bible and find how the woman is retracted there… like an object belonging to men (I wish I had here the Bible with me to give an example… oh well, when I’m back to Delft I’ll do that….). At least so far in my reading…

I think I’ll stop here… I just wanted to give a starter… :P

No comments: